Friday, March 8, 2013

Woodlawn

This year marks the 50th Annual Woodlawn Needlework show. As you might expect, this show was an extravaganza. Many, many beautiful pieces of needlework. And something I hadn't noticed in past years (though they may have been there) miniature stockings and bundles of Christmas ornaments. Miniatures abounded. My husband who accompanies me each year remarked on the number and variety of miniatures. Traditional samplers were in abundance. There was goldwork, needlepoint, Reticello, Zentangle-inspired, fun pieces and serious pieces. In short, there was something for everyone.

I fell in love with a piece that I don't think got any ribbons, but I absolutely loved it. A traditional sampler, and yet non traditional, complete with alphabets and people enjoying old-fashioned pursuits. I liked it so much that after we left Woodlawn, I headed for In Stitches Needlework in the hope of finding the chart. I am happy to report complete success. I started describing the sampler, and the lady helping me knew exactly which item I was looking for. A few minutes later, I was a completely happy camper, clutching my brand new Story From The Past Sampler chart by a mon ami Pierre.

Of course, no trip to the Woodlawn Needlework show is complete without lunch with the Nellies Needlers. Their menu doesn't vary too much from year but why mess up a good thing. I look forward to my Chicken Salad Plate and Lemon Tart. Our waitress was an old friend from the Needlers, and while we were eating, several of the cooking staff came out to say hello. Nice to see everyone!

Oh, and I got an honorable mention for my Christmas Rules. Too bad I don't have a picture of it, but when it comes home, I will take its picture and post it.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great day!

    Congrats on your honorable mention.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stories from the Past is a beautiful sampler. Looking forward to watching your progress on it.

    ReplyDelete